Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Bungle Jungle

I recently finished my second ever quilt!
I made a baby quilt for a woman I work with who was having a baby boy. I fell in love with this adorable kiddo fabric - Bungle Jungle by Tim and Beck.
It is bright and happy and has wonderfully fun colors. Perfect for a baby boy!

I also used this tutorial from Moda Bakeshop.
It was a fairly easy tutorial for a beginner quilter like me and if I need another baby gift one day, I will probably use the same pattern.

 
This pattern required 1 Charm Pack and 1 Jelly Roll and addtional yardage for the sashing.

Charm squares and jelly roll strips matched together.

The start of the blocks.
I wish I had "fussy cut" the giraffe better so her eyes were showing...oh well...still learning!

The blocks completed and ready for the sashing.

Quilt Top Done!  Yay!

The quilt back used the leftover jelly roll strips sewn together.

After quilting! All over design in the strips, squiggles in the sashing and free-hand stars in the center. My friend, Sharyn, is just starting her long-arm quilting business and I was her first paying customer!

LOVED the binding on this quilt! It is also made with the jelly roll strips. It turned out very cute!

Binding sewn on and showing some of the back and front together.

ALL DONE! The colors of this quilt are so fun.
The pictures don't do it justice and I was taking them at night.
My craft room has bright light, but it kinda washed out the colors.

The finished back.

My friend, Rosalie, LOVED this quilt and said she was going to hang it on her son's wall so it didn't get ruined.  I told her to use the quilt. It's supposed to be used and loved, and spit up on and rolled in and everything little boys do.
This was a fun project, went together fairly quickly and I'm really happy with the way it turned out!

Now on to quilt number three - another bright, happy quilt for my grandson.

Happy Quilting!

9 comments:

  1. love how cheerful and bright the quilt is. Denise you are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! It was a fun quilt. Lots of cutting but once the cutting was done it went together pretty quickly.

      Delete
  2. I thought mine was next

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was surprised to stumble upon your blog post and find the same quilt I am making. I would never have thought to use jelly roll strips for the backing. How clever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love this quilt and it went to a wonderful little boy. I had quite a few of the strips left over and thought they would be the perfect back. Tip: they weren't cut with the fabric lined up very straight and sew them matching the same selvages at the bottom. I didn't do that and the back did come out a bit wonky and I had to trim it up a bit.
      Thanks for visiting my blog!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete