Monday, August 27, 2012

Enchilada Style Stuffed Peppers

I love Mexican food and could probably eat it everyday but I know that the menu items that I love are not very good for me.

My friend Karen over at "Oh My Gluten Free Goodness!" changed her way of eating about a year ago. She is gluten free, corn free and dairy free so eating Mexican is pretty much out of the picture for her.  She is always trying new things, using different and new ingredients to create new recipes and new ways to enjoy the foods that she loves and misses.  She recently created this recipe for stuffed bell peppers and I thought it sounded wonderful - and it was!

I do not eat gluten free, dairy free or corn free (although I probably should) so I didn't follow her recipe precisly and I used larger amounts of some of the ingredients.  You can find Karen's ORIGINAL recipe here.  The following recipe is the one that I used to prepare my stuffed peppers.

Enchilada Style Stuffed Peppers
4 bell peppers, any color.  I used one of each green, red, yellow and orange
1-1/2 lbs. ground beef (I do not use organic, grass fed, but I do use the best ground beef)
1/2 medium onion diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed and diced (Karen does not use garlic)
Salt and pepper to taste.
1-2 roma tomatoes, diced (I used 2 because I used extra ground beef)
1 - 15oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 - 4oz can diced green chilies (don't drain). I used 1 1/2 cans because my family likes things spicy.
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 - 28oz can enchilada sauce
Shredded chedder cheese (optional)

Cut bell peppers in half, stem to tip and remove seeds.  Brown ground beef together with onion and garlic and season with salt and pepper.  Drain any fat from ground beef.  Microwave the peppers for 2-3 minutes to soften.  I did mine for 2-1/2 minutes because I like mine a little firmer.  Mix remaining ingredients (except the enchilada sauce) with the ground beef in a bowl.  Pour enchilada sauce into a 9" x 13" baking pan/dish and place peppers cut side up in the dish.  Divide the meat filling equally into the peppers.  Cover the pan with foil and bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.  Remove foil and sprinkle with the grated cheese and bake another 5 minutes.  Spoon some of the enchilada sauce over the peppers.  YUM!

The meat was very tasty alone too!

before baking in the oven.....

....and after with the melted cheesy goodness! (I only added cheese to four of the peppers)


My son and husband added sour cream to the top of theirs.  I also added a wonderful tossed green salad with veggies from our garden to round out this simple, tasty, refreshing meal. These were a HUGE hit at our house and definately will be made again. 

THANK YOU KAREN!

Check out Karen's other awesome recipes too!

4 comments:

  1. looks pretty yummy your way too

    ReplyDelete
  2. Denise! Where have I been? Didn't know you have a blog too! Photos look sooooo yummy! Looking forward to reading more! xo, Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I've had it for a little over a year now. It's fun. Our adventures aren't as exotic as your but we do have fun! Enjoy!

      Delete
  3. thanks for stopping by today...so far we are still high and dry! This recipe is going in my to cook pile.....yum!

    ReplyDelete