Monday, October 24, 2011

Meeska Mooska Mickey Mouse!

My grandson, Christopher is celebrating his 3rd birthday!  Oh my where have the years gone.  It seems like yesterday that we received the 4am phone call that it was time to head to the hospital. Anyway....on his 1st birthday my husband Chris and I "volunteered" to make his birthday cake.  The theme was "Curious George" and we did a great job if I say so myself! I had taken several cake decorating classes before and have decorated many cakes, but this would be the first cake where I had used fondant.
It was yummy chocolate marble cake and everyone loved it.

For his 2nd birthday the theme was "Construction Zone" and of course we "volunteered" again to make this cake.  My husband and our son, Chris II (yes there are three Chris's) are both in the tower crane business.  For this cake we used lots of frosting and candy rocks and  made it look like the construction equipment was digging away at the cake. 

We even made the "Blue Room" porta-potty!  It was also a big hit and again we were pretty proud of our efforts.

So this year we when we were told the theme of "Mickey Mouse Clubhouse" we said "Okay.  No problem."  Except we had NO IDEA what we were getting ourselves into until we watched the "Clubhouse" with Lil Man.  We looked at each other and thought "Really? Could we pull this cake off?" 

Well we did.  It turned out awesome! It took us 6 HOURS!  HAHA!  But it was all worth it when we heard Christopher say "Mickey Mouse Clubhouse! I like it!"



The door to the Clubhouse

The back of the cake

The gate

The blue tube is Mickey's tail made into a slide.
We used copper tubing and wrapped it in fondant.

Our Lil Man with his cake!

Blowing out the candle!

It was a great party at "Pump It Up!" where there were big pumped-up obstacle courses and slides and everyone had an awesome time!

I wonder what challenging theme will his parents decide we should do next year!

 

4 comments:

  1. So amazing! And oh my gosh that boy is just too cute!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like you need to make a deep space nine cake or something come, say, oh, February!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is just so, I mean, it just about makes me speechless. You and Chris do some amazing cake work! What great grandparents you two are! totally awesome sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, the cake is awesome! 6 hours of cake making takes the cake! You are awesome grandparents!

    ReplyDelete