Friday, September 16, 2011

50 Years of Love


Today is my parents 50th wedding anniversary!  Fifty years! My goodness that's a long time to be married to someone!  In August we had a mini family reunion and celebrated their special day in Dunsmuir, California.  Dunsmuir is near Mt. Shasta and is one of their favorite places to visit and camp.  We go there at least once a season - sometimes twice.
The party was wonderfully awesome.  My aunts, uncles and cousins were all there along with my immediate family.  We had a speghetti feed on Friday night and a wonderful BBQ on Saturday with ribs, chicken and sausage and all the fixin's both nights.  We played games, had relay races and fires and ate Smores, ice cream, Twinkies and Ho-Ho's.  It was a wonderful way to spend their special day and they had a marvelous time.

My parents have lived in four houses, owned 14 cars (I think I counted correctly), a Ford Model A, a VW camper bus, two motorhomes and a travel trailer. They've traveled all over the United States and parts of Canada.  My dad was in the Navy for 6 years then worked locally as an electrician for the rest of his career and is now retired.  My mother has been a nurse since 1961 and has worked at the same hospital for 45 years.  They also own an antique store "Red Geranium Antiques" and have collected furniture, Fiesta ware, Depression glass and antiques my whole life. 

I am the oldest of three girls and my sisters are Lori and Debra.  We had a great life growing up and got to see a whole lot of places and do a whole lot of things.  My parents always supported all of our activities and were always there for us 100%.  In fact - they still are.  They attended every school function, band function, Girl Scout and Camp Fire Girl function, Job's Daughter's function and made countless Halloween costumes, Christmas cookies and always taught us to be creative.  We went to Disneyland, Great America, the ocean, the mountains and the desert.  They watched me and my sisters and my three sons graduate from Antioch High School - the same school where they graduated - and my nephew Tyler is only has a few years to go.  They have 1 great-grandson, Christopher III and another great-grandchild due in March.

My parents have had their own set of adventures including camping, antiquing, fly fishing, and collecting rocks - from tiny ones to ones that you almost need a wheelbarrow to lug back to the truck! 









They've ridden bikes, hiked to Vernal Falls in Yosemite - twice - water skiied and rowed their pontoon boats on various rivers and lakes.

My sisters and I have learned so much from our parents - Love, Respect, Tenderness, Happiness, Kindness and how to be good parents.  We were fortunate to grow up with both sets of our grandparents and always had our aunts, uncles and cousins around for big dinners, BBQs, camping trips, fishing trips, holidays and "just because" times.  We had a great life growing up and even though I didn't follow all most of the rules when I was a teenager and was never almost always on time for my curfew, I wouldn't change a thing. 


Acting silly and playing games at their party!

My Family

Mom and Dad in the front.  Back row: sister Lori, my nephew Tyler, Sister Debra, Me, my husband Chris

I love you Mom and Dad very, very much. 
I wish you many more years of happiness, love, fun and outlandish adventures! 
You are the best parents a girl could ask for!

3 comments:

  1. Great post!!
    Happy anniversary to your ma and pa!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great love story! What a blessing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a beautiful post! Congratulations to your mom and dad!

    ReplyDelete