Thursday, March 24, 2011

Spring - Wherefore Art Thou?

"The first day of spring is one thing, and the first spring day is another.  The difference between them is sometimes as great as a month.  ~ Henry VanDyke"

Okay - we all know officially March 20th was the 1st day of spring, but in my neck of the woods in the Bay Area of Northern California, it's absolutely pouring today!  I know we need the rain but sheesh.......! 
I think Puxatawny Phil was wrong this year!

I know that spring is just around the corner and then the dreaded heat of summer.  What are the first signs of spring for me?  Hockey season is almost over and baseball season is starting (although I haven't watched much hockey this year).  The days get longer and the stack of wood for the fireplace gets shorter.  My hydrangeas have beautiful, new green leaves and the gladiolas are starting to sprout.  Chris and I start thinking about the 1st ripe tomato of the season and fresh, sweet, white corn and juicy, yummy-licious nectarines are at the store.











My fingers itch to plant pretty annuals and shrubs in the ground.  We start getting our trailer ready for the camping season and it's finally time to ride our bikes without wearing all the winter gear.

My furry "girls" love to roll around on the lawn and play in the water. No more sweaters and boots, but sandals and sparkly toes....and it's time to start shaving my legs again on a regular basis.....



I LOVE Spring!  It's my favorite season of the year.  Everything is green and fresh and beautiful!  The flowers bloom, the butterflies and birds are abundant and it's not so hot that we have to use the air conditioner and can keep the windows and doors open.

But for a few more days I'm sure, it will be flannel jammies when I get home from work, a roaring fire in the fireplace, soups and stews and cuddling on the couch with the love of my life.  LIFE IS GOOD!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are having a great time no matter what the weather! Your fur babies are beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. can I come and camp by the fireplace and be way past warm? Ours smokes too much. And I want to grow good tomatoes but my yard won't let me...too much shade.

    ReplyDelete