Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Holy Smoke!

My husband, Chris, loves to cook.  And I don't mean just dabble a bit in the kitchen, I mean he does the majority of the cooking in our home (yay for me!) and always has.  It's wonderful.  Don't get me wrong, I like to cook and I'm pretty good at it too, he just likes it better and so I let him.  I mean really, why in the world would I deprive him of cooking for me?!  Chris is adventurous when it comes to food and will taste any food that's put in front of him (us) and that includes any type of fish (cooked or raw - preferably raw - which I also like), any type of organ meat (uh...no...although I did try beef heart and pig stomach when we were in Okinawa), any type of veggie, pasta, meat, game, ethnicity etc., you name it - he's either tried it or is willing to try it at least once.  And most of the time HE LIKES IT!  The man is strange...

He is also adventurous when it comes to food preparation and will cook, grill, poach, saute, stir-fry, BBQ etc. anything.  Which usually means we need the equipment that will help him cook, grill, poach, saute, stir-fry, BBQ anything.  We have awesome knives and cookware, Dutch ovens, grill pans, saute pans, two BBQ's, several kinds of salts and peppers and spices.  He wanted to make Chicken Cacciatore not long ago and the recipe required a potato ricer, which we didn't have.  I was assured that the only PROPER way to remove the skins and seeds from the tomatoes was to use the potato ricer.  And yes...we now own one.  You name it - we have it.  Thank goodness for those 20% off coupons at Bed, Bath and Beyond.

So...a couple of weeks ago we were invited for BBQ burgers at Regena and Pat's house.  While Pat was grilling the burgers he and Chris started talking about smoking meats and comparing notes.  Chris has a small smoker that we bought last year.  It's cute and red and looks like R2D2 from Star Wars.  He's used it a number of times and the meat turns out wonderful.  Well....Pat has a BIGGER smoker and Chris started checking it out and looking at it every which way, in every nook and cranny.  And then he got busy and made one...from scratch...in one week...along with an accompanying cookbook of ideas and recipes for smoking meat, poultry and fish.  It's a 55-gallon drum and one of the ends is removable, with two removable racks inside to hold the meat and of course the area for the wood that is used for the smoking.  It's awesome!  This past Saturday we purchased two beef briskets and he used Pappy's Seasoning as the rub (Pat's recommendation) and placed them in the smoker about 10pm on Saturday night.
  
A Man and His Meat - it's a good thing!


  
Prepped & Ready!
  They cooked through the night and all day Sunday and at about 3pm he took them out.  They looked and smelled so good!  We had an awesome dinner of smoked brisket, three kinds of salad (potato, mac and 3 bean), baked beans and bread.  Yummo times Ten!
 
Before closing the smoker













All Done - YUMMO!
We have three carnivores for sons so I know that Chris will be using this latest piece of cooking equipment quite often this summer.  He wants to try a turkey and a salmon, and I'm sure there will be ribs thrown in the mix at one point.  Do I complain when he buys something new for cooking?  Most of the time.  Do I complain when he uses the "something new" to cook me a meal?  Never!  I'm spoiled rotten and he treats me like a Queen!  He's such a Stud.... :o)

6 comments:

  1. Sweet ride, Baby!!

    Nothing says Man-hood like heat, meat and smoke!

    Nice job!!

    Patrick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smoked turkey is way past awesome!!! We did it for thanksgiving a couple of times and it was eaten right down to the bones...no leftovers at all!!! Have Pat talk to Chris about brining poultry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris said "thank you" to Pat re: the compliments and we brined a turkey last year for Thanksgiving and roasted it. It was awesome. I'm sure they will compare notes again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome blog post! Made me hungry just reading it! You are a truely blessed woman to have a man that loves to cook. My hubby is in charge of coffee.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes I am very blessed Karen. So I won't tell you then that Chris is also in charge of coffee (he gets up first) and brings me a cup while I'm in the shower every morning.

    ReplyDelete