Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Crock Pot Hearty Tortellini Soup


I made this wonderfully, delicious soup this past weekend and served it with crusty french bread.  It was a definite hit in my house.  It makes a pretty good amount, so make sure you have guests, are really hungry or want to take it with you for lunch everyday for a week like Chris and I have been doing!  Although it's so tasty that we don't mind.  I pair it with a salad and fruit and it's a wonderful lunch.  

1 lb. Bulk Italian Sausage (I used 1/2 sweet and 1/2 hot)
6 cups beef broth
1 (28 ounce) can stewed tomatoes (I used Italian flavored)
1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
2 cups sliced zucchini
1 large onion, chopped
1 cup sliced carrots
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
2 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. dried basil
1 clove garlic, minced
2 cups frozen cheese tortellini
Grated Parmesan cheese

In a skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.  Transfer to a 5-quart slow cooker; add the next 13 ingredients.
Cover and cook on high 3-4 hours or until the vegetables are tender.
Cook tortellini according to package directions; drain.  Stir into slow cooker and cover and cook 30 minutes longer.  Serve with grated Parmesan cheese.

I used 1/2 sweet and 1/2 hot Italian sausage as my hubby likes the spicy food.  It was actually fairly mild and I will probably try all hot sausage next time.  I also used the Italian stewed tomatoes for the extra seasoning and flavor.

This recipe came from a blog that I follow:
"Always Tie Your Apron Strings"

Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. I would make mine more plainer, becasue I am a boring eater, but that soup has definite possibilities. I love soup and french bread for supper. heck, I love a fully loaded baked potato for supper!
    Glad you posted, I'm sure Karen would've been naggin' you soon. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Denise! I wanted this recipe since you posted on fb about it the other day. I can't wait to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let me know how you like it!

    ReplyDelete